The Next Chapter: Meet Tara Garrity Lebda ’94

We are pleased to welcome Tara Garrity Lebda ’94 as the new BUAA Board President. While her term officially began July 1, she has been a passionate advocate for Bucknell for many years. Fellow board member Kimberly Wilson Wetty ’93 recently interviewed Tara about her Bucknell experience and transition to a BUAA leadership role:

Why did you get involved with the BUAA and what has the experience been like?
I have volunteered for Bucknell in different capacities since graduation and this felt like the next logical step. It is a
commitment of time and travel and I was ready to give more. The BUAA experience has been so much better than I
expected. Doing meaningful work on behalf of the University is extremely fulfilling. And to be able to make a connection with alums I would have never otherwise met has been the biggest unexpected gift.

Why did you want to run for President of the BUAA?
I felt that having been on the board for the past six years (and serving as VP of Membership and Nominations for four years) prepared me for this role. I was also encouraged by my friend Katie Malague ’94 (former BUAA president). I approach it with humility and gratitude that the team I work with is made up of phenomenal people.

What are some of your strategic goals you hope to accomplish during your term?
Increasing the opportunities for alums to engage with the University, deepening our student interactions, and partnering with Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) to help them improve relations with alumni. I hope we can encourage Bucknellians to view their relationship with Bucknell as one that lasts for a lifetime.

The BUAA plays many roles, where do you think the board has the greatest impact?
Our students say they appreciate our interactions as it bridges the “here and now” with the future. This allows them to envision what might be next for them and how they can continue to influence Bucknell for the current as well as future classes.
Why and how did you pick Bucknell?
At the end of the day, I couldn’t deny what a great experience my family members had here even though I wanted to rebel against tradition.

Favorite place on campus?
The Malesardi Quad. I have so many great memories of walking by Good Luck John, having class outside, and graduating on the Quad.
Favorite Bucknell tradition?
It didn’t exist when I went to BU but I would say First Night. It is a momentous night when the whole class is together and officially gets welcomed into the alumni community.

Favorite memory from your Freshman, Sophomore, Junior or Senior year?
When my roommates and I dressed up as the Solid Gold Dancers for Halloween.

Meet the BUAA Board of Directors.