Part 1: The Bucknellian, Reunion edition 2018

Each year, the Bucknell University Alumni Association creates a special edition of The Bucknellian newspaper exclusively for Reunion Weekend.  All alumni celebrating their reunion year are invited to share stories and reflections of their Bucknell experience and where it’s taken them today.  This year, 21 alumni authors volunteered their time and memories to write an article for the 2018 Reunion edition. We’re pleased to bring you a sampling of articles in this four-part series.

A challenge to all alumni

By Shari Aser, Class of 1998

Bucknell has been a significant part of my life since I drove onto campus for the Accepted Students Open House in April 1994. As a child, I always imagined what college would look like and when I saw Bucknell, the dream had come true.

During my junior year of college, I realized that although I had been involved with the women’s rowing team and my sorority, I had not been active with Bucknell as an institution. I decided to apply for chair of the Senior Gift Drive and was selected. I was faced with the daunting task of forming a committee, selecting a slogan, and most importantly, convincing over 800 seniors to make a monetary commitment to Bucknell. I am proud to say that our class, the Class of 1998, was extremely successful and raised over $24,000 for our Senior Gift Drive. I was officially hooked on volunteering for Bucknell.

For the past 20 years, I have continued to serve Bucknell as an active volunteer. At my 10th reunion, I was honored to receive the Bucknell University Alumni Association (BUAA) Young Alumni Award. I believe it is a testament to the tradition of excellence at Bucknell that the University recognizes and celebrates the achievements of its alumni in their service to humanity, accomplishments in their chosen profession, and their loyalty to Bucknell.

Bucknell fosters entire growth of the individual. This is the foundation of a liberal arts education. While on campus, each of us was challenged to expand our knowledge both in our field of study and in our society. Whether we were a double major in theater and biology or engineering and dance, each of us learned to take the skills we acquired and apply them to real world situations.

Currently, I serve on the executive committee of the BUAA Board of Directors as chair of the Career Advisory Committee. I was also on the Bucknell Engineering Alumni Board of Directors for nine years as admissions committee chair. On the board, I led the Women in Engineering Initiative for the University. Other past volunteer activities have included: alumni interviewing for the Office of Admissions, participation in the Annual Fund, and being a part of the WE DO campaign’s cabinet for New York & Connecticut.

Why do I continue to volunteer you might ask? I want to take part in ensuring Bucknell’s future is strong. The University gave me many things including an education, friendships, leadership opportunities, and a place I will always call home. As a result, I want to help others share these experiences. Not to mention, volunteering is also a lot of fun!

I would like to challenge all alumni who are not presently volunteering to do the following: find a way to get involved with Bucknell – whether volunteering at a local college fair, supporting the Annual Fund, calling a prospective student, providing an internship for another Bucknellian, attending a sporting event, or even putting a Bucknell sticker on your car. You never know how that one act could impact Bucknell and/or the lives of future Bucknellians.