BUAA Launches Be Herd

During the 2016 Leadership Summit, the Bucknell University Alumni Association (BUAA) recognized that the University had a strong relationship with the alumni. But, we were lacking alumni to alumni communication. Over the last year, the BUAA Executive Committee and Communications Committee worked to find a solution. Are you ready for Be Herd?

Be Herd opens a direct line of communication for alumni to share questions, comments or concerns with the BUAA Board of Directors. Based on the feedback you share, we will be able to bring your concerns to the Board for discussion, collaborate with the University,  and incorporate your ideas into future articles and initiatives.

If you haven’t already, we encourage you to subscribe to The Magnet, our online newsletter, to receive regular updates about new content posted on the blog – including responses to your Be Herd feedback. We regularly share articles related to the Board’s mission to represent alumni, engage Bucknellians, and promote and enhance Bucknell University

Bucknellians have never been shy… so share your questions, comments or concerns. BE HERD! The initiative officially launches on Monday, July 24.

-Kimberly Wilson Wetty ‘93

4 Responses to “BUAA Launches Be Herd”

1. Erika Stanat says:

This is a fantastic initiative! I am really excited about the communication channels “Be Herd” should open with many of the alumni stakeholder groups and constituents. Thank you for the great innovative thinking!

2. K. Warren says:

Dear Bison,

Forgive me if this issue has been brought up before, but I’d like to share a concern in response to this year’s request for contributions to the school. I always hesitate to contribute for precisely one reason. Nearly 20 years after graduating, I’m tremendously uncomfortable with the gender inequity I experienced at Bucknell. The social structure made males so much more powerful than women, and I shudder to think about the impact this had on male/female dynamics and the self esteem of women. Fraternities hosted nearly all of the parties which constituted most of the opportunities for socializing if you were below legal drinking age. This gave men absolute control over who was allowed in and who had to go home and order pizza alone in the dorms. If you were a female on campus at this time, I don’t need to tell you that this was utterly humiliating since admission was largely based on looks and popularity. This power to control the social lives of others was wildly abused by men in fraternities and became the prevalent attitude for everyone on campus. We all heard the administration defend this inequity with the tired “brothel law” explanation, but what about the rapes, and date rapes and sexual exploitation of women that took place at these fraternities on a regular basis? I literally had a dean defend this with the line, “well, boys will be boys!” which he uttered with a disgusting chortle.

I was a very outspoken female student back then, much to the chagrin of two deans and quite a few fraternity brothers. I’ve become less shy with age.

I’d love to hear other people’s reactions or impressions on the subject. Has it gotten better? What can we do about it? It’s NOT okay.

• Tara Garrity Lebda '94 says:

Thank you Kathryn. It was great to have a dialog with you on this important subject offline.