Reunion Weekend Reflection: Melissa Plaisance ’82

Why is Reunion Weekend important to you as an alumnus?

Reunion weekend is a time to reconnect with classmates and see all the amazing changes that have taken place on campus.  I have attended every reunion weekend of my class since graduation in 1982, and every five years there have been new developments on campus, and new milestones in our classmates’ lives.  For me, early on it was sharing stories about the start of careers, then in many cases there were marriages, then children…life marches on, and the touch points with fellow classmates along the way have been very meaningful. Everyone’s path is different and no story is the same, but we share a common and lasting bond from our years at Bucknell.

What do alumni gain from coming back for Reunion Weekend?

We can reconnect with classmates we knew, or meet classmates we may never have spent much time with.  In the end, we share the bond of spending time at a very special place, in Lewisburg, PA, and it brings us together in a way that is hard for others to understand.

What was your experience like serving as a reunion volunteer in a leadership role for your class?

I have always enjoyed organizing events, so being involved as a reunion volunteer has been “up my alley”.  The reunion committee brings together people who are passionate about their years at Bucknell, and in most cases have stayed connected to Bucknell in their years after graduation.  It has been so fun to plan a weekend together on campus, and try to ensure there is something for everyone to enjoy, at every stage of life.

What is your most memorable Reunion Weekend experience?

Since I have now been to seven reunion weekends, it is really hard to pick a favorite.  However, I always treasure spending time with my roommate from all four years on campus, and the fellow members of our freshman hall in Roberts – 2nd West.  At the same time, I enjoy connecting with other classmates that I rarely see or talk with, and learning what they are up to. The class dinners are always amazing, and I enjoy the all-class celebration with fireworks after the Saturday night dinner.

Have you been involved with Bucknell since graduation outside of being a Reunion Weekend volunteer? Why do you feel connected to Bucknell?

I have been involved with Bucknell in a number of ways since graduation.  Outside of being a reunion volunteer, early on, I attended local alumni club events, meeting Bucknellians in the San Francisco Bay area.  I was an alumni interviewer for Bucknell when that program was active, and have been a college fair representative on quite a few occasions. I have also made calls to admitted students and attended admitted students events. Over time, I also served on panels and as a speaker at a number of alumni events in Northern California.

In addition, I had the privilege to serve on the Bucknell Alumni Board of Directors for nine years, first on the Strategic Planning Committee, then on the Finance Committee, serving as chair of that committee for a number of years, and then as President of the Alumni Board for my final two years of service. It was an amazing experience to serve on the Alumni Board of Directors, having the opportunity to meet and work with alums from many different classes, from many different areas across the country, as well as meeting with current students and members of the faculty and staff at Bucknell.  Being a part of the Bucknell community has truly enriched my life, and has been meaningful to my family as well. I am the proud mother of a Bucknellian, Class of 2013. Allison is celebrating her 5 year reunion this year, and is a Reunion Weekend volunteer!

Reunion Weekend registration is now open for class years ending in 3 and 8 and all Emeritus classes. For more information, visit bucknell.edu/reunion